What is even stupider, however, is the fact that those claiming to ‘believe” stupid ideas are often incapable of even understanding the ideas, themselves.
Take the (seemingly) warm-and-fuzzy notion common among most self-described “Chstians”, of an “age of accountability”.
As described by something called “Theopedia” (which — at least at first blush — appears to be a Wiki dedicated to Christian apologetics):
The Age of Accountability is that time in the development of a person when he or she can and invariably does sin against God and thus stands in the need of personal redemption through Jesus Christ.^^
It is a controversial theological notion held by many Christians that for the purpose of salvation, a person is covered by God’s grace until mature enough to understand and thus be responsible for obedience to God’s moral law. It is one of the things that must be of great concern to Christian parents who love their children.^^
Proponents understand it to be the non-depraved status (innocence) of infants, preadolescent children, and persons who are incapable of recognizing or assuming personal responsibility due to developmental, mental or emotional disability. Essentially, anyone who has not reached a sufficient level of abstract reasoning is considered covered by this grace. John MacArthur concludes that up until a point of real saving faith in a child’s life, God in His mercy would save that child if that child should die.^ ^
Some opponents believe that infant baptism provides salvation to those unable to choose.
Now, it is obvious what “real-world” purpose of this notion serves: Even most “Fundies” find the (neccesary) implications of “Original Sin” and “visiting ‘iniquity’ unto the 7th generation” etc. to be FLATLY incompatible with the notion that the entity they claim to ‘worship’ is “compassionate”, “loving” or “merciful”.
The notion that Yahweh would dump babies into a “Lake of Fire” for all eternity even makes THEM squeamish. 🙂
Now, let’s parse through (some of) the more obvious implications of this:
- First, organizations such as the https://www.stjude.org/ (which specialize in helpind children not to die of horrible disorders) — are the work of Satan, in that their sole purpose is to apply real-world scientific knowledge in the attempt to help children survive. Presumably, at least SOME of those children survive past whatever any given denomination/individual has (arbitrarily) designated as the “Age of Accountablity”. (7 years old? 13 years old?)
Thus, from a “theological” perspective, the sole purpose of St. Jude research hospital is to deprive ‘innocent’ children of the ‘privilege’ of dying before the “age of accountability”.
Quite frankly, the same argument extends to any and all “Save the children”-type organizations. ANY attempt to help children to survive past the “age of accountability” cannot help but to increase the population of Hell, in that while there are innumerable ways to be wrong, there is only ONE way to be RIGHT.
For a religion so blatantly obsessed with the primacy of “Belief” over practice, it is pretty much inevitable that the vast majorify of humankind consists either of “heathen”/”pagan” populations, or the 99.9999999999% of self-described ‘christians’ your specific “faith tradition” implicitly designates as “heretics having their Ears tickled by Satanic Counterfeits” based on “unsound doctrine”)
2. An interesting side-effect of the notion of an “Age of Accountability” is: the population of “heaven” is overwhelmingly composed of those who died in childhood/infancy. Moreover — assuming that the “age of accountability” cop-out is extends to the children of “unbelievers” — the vast majority of the population of ‘heaven’ are the (now grown?) infants/children of “pagans”.
(the only way to weasel out of the above is to claim that the “age of accountability” only applies to infants/children born to “believing” (and thus presumably “godly”) couples.)
3. Moreover, given the (undeniable) fact that infants/children in the past — AND nowadays, in various ‘third world” nations — are “lucky enough” to die before the “Age of Accountability” in vastly greater numbers than infants/children “unlucky” enough to have been born in the civilized/technological West — well, you get the idea. “Heaven” is absolutely chock-full of Non-Whites, and the children of “pagans”.
4. The other (neccesary) implication that nobody wants to discuss is: PREDESTINATION:
- Yahweh has “predestined” each and every human since “before Creation”, as to whether they spend an eternity in “heaven” or “hell”. He has done this by what is symbolically described as the “Book of Life”.
- Nonetheless, each and every human can “choose, of their own free will”, to uncritically swallow the Christian sales-pitch, at which time they are magically transformed from being “Children of Wrath” to being “Children of God”.
(Hmm…..both “believers” and “nonbelievers” have been “predestined” to occupy exactly whatever their current positions happen to be, with regard to whether they “beleive” or not. Moreover, Yahweh — in His mysteriously-omnipotent ‘Mysterious Ways’ – has *also* predestined “the Elect” to magically transform from being “children of Wrath” to members of “the Church” — at a specific, very definite point in time. (When they got “Saved”).
- ‘INNOCENT’ children are nevertheless “visited with the iniquity’ of (up to) 7 generations of their ancestors.
- Nonetheless, some of them are “lucky” enough to have been predestined from before Creation itself, to die before the “Age of Accountability” (a “get into Heaven free”, card).
- At the (equally magical) “Age of Accountability” the individual is no longer ‘innocent’, and is switched(???) from the “Book of Life” category to the “Children of Wrath” category.
- At least in some cases, a small sub-set of those “Children of Wrath” are ‘predestined’ to eventually embrace the correct ‘beliefs’, with regard to the bloody slaughter of a (suspiciously “pagan”) God-man, whose slaughter was the only possible means for ONE of the 3 “persons” comprising “the Trinity” to appease ANOTHER of the “persons” comprising that same Trinity.)
- If any of the above strikes you as brain-destroying idiocy, and/or blatantly incomprehensible and incoherent even with regard to itself, just click your heels together 3 times, and chant “God works in Mysterious ways”.
Quite frankly, it is utterly unsurprising that the vast majority of “theologians” both hate and fear the human capacity for rational thought:
Some yummy quotes:
Die verfluchte Huhre, Vernunft. (The damned whore, Reason).
Reason is the Devil’s greatest whore; by nature and manner of being she is a noxious whore; she is a prostitute, the Devil’s appointed whore; whore eaten by scab and leprosy who ought to be trodden under foot and destroyed, she and her wisdom … Throw dung in her fa
ce to make her ugly. She is and she ought to be drowned in baptism… She would deserve, the wretch, to be banished to the filthiest place in the house, to the closets.
Martin Luther, Erlangen Edition v. 16, pp. 142-148
Reason is the greatest enemy that faith has; it never comes to the aid of spiritual things, but — more frequently than not — struggles against the divine Word, treating with contempt all that emanates from God.
Reason must be deluded, blinded, and destroyed. Faith must trample underfoot all reason, sense, and understanding, and whatever it sees must be put out of sight and … know nothing but the word of God.
There is on earth among all dangers no more dangerous thing than a richly endowed and adroit reason… Reason must be deluded, blinded, and destroyed.
Martin Luther, quoted by Walter Kaufmann, The Faith of a Heretic, (Garden City, NY, Doubleday, 1963), p. 75
Reason should be destroyed in all Christians.
Whoever wants to be a Christian should tear the eyes out of his Reason.
To be a Christian, you must “pluck out the eye of reason.”
People gave ear to an upstart astrologer [Copernicus] who strove to show that the earth revolves, not the heavens or the firmament, the sun and the moon. Whoever wishes to appear clever must devise some new system, which of all systems is of course the very best. This fool wishes to reverse the entire science of astronomy; but sacred scripture tells us [Joshua 10:13] that Joshua commanded the sun to stand still, and not the earth.
Martin Luther, “Works,” Volume 22, c. 1543
We know, on the authority of Moses, that longer than six thousand years the world did not exist.
Martin Luther, “Lectures on Genesis”
All our experience with history should teach us, when we look back, how badly human wisdom is betrayed when it relies on itself.
(Fun-Fact: no, the above off-site link does NOT lead to an “Atheist” hit-piece — just to head off any possible Fundie Spittle-froth incidents preemptively).
Quite frankly, the (primary) reason “Christianity” manages to continue stumbling across the world-stage comes down to the following incontrovertible truths:
- The overwhelming majority of “Christians” have only the most tenuous and superficial comprehension of THEIR OWN RELIGION. Moreover, they have been trained to believe that their ignorance of/inability to understand their own “beliefs” means that they are “Walking by Fatih, and not by sight.”
- In addition to all of those unlucky enough to have been born into/”raised” in Christian homes (who — as with every other ‘religion’, typically pick up at least a crude approximation of the ‘faith’ more of less by cultural osmosis), there are always people gullible and desperate enough to get scammed.
- Relentless, dogged, obsessive “pressure-selling” gimmicks are at the heart of the theology itself: They believe that they have been commanded to “preach the Gospel to every Creature”. The fact that 80% of them can — and do — manage to STFU about it every now and again (for example — to ask somebody about the latest baseball scores or something ‘worldly’ like that) amounts to a theological failing on their part.
But yeah: Christianity (like all other religions and cults) is propagated by TWO vectors:
1. It is SEXUAALLY Transmitted from one generaiton of “believers” to the next (when Non-Celibate “believers” BREED).
2. It is relentlessly shoved down the throats of the GULLIBLE and DESPERATE — who then regard the utter incomprehensibility of the whole thing as some sort of “Sacred Mystery” — those (implicitly) ELEVATING THEIR OWN GULLIBILITY AND DESPERATION TO THE ESSENCE OF “VIRTUE”.
Are there “Good” Christians (or Muslims, or Hindus, etc.?)
Yes, of course.
Moreover, at least some of them (the ones who are rather superficial/”lukewarm”, non-pathological about it), implicitly or explicitly end up disregarding Martin Luther’s anti-Reason bullshit (which is one reason the whole field of “Apologetics” exists, at all.)
Well shit, I’m “off-topic”, again.