In any given undertaking, it is helpful – actually, critically important – to ask oneself a series of questions :
- What am I trying to do?
- Why do I want to do it?
- What physical resources does it require?
- What information do I need to know, in order to make this happen?
- How long is it likely to take?
- How much space will it require?
- What financial resources (if any) will this require?
You get the idea. The answers to the above questions (and many others) are crucial components of knowing what one is doing.
Predictably, Karl has never (seriously) asked any of the above questions, in regard to his “computer museum” — which is why had has made no progress whatsoever on the “project” over the 25+ years of our “friendship”.
What he has done (in lieu of such planning) is the following:
- Amass a vast morass of random detritus, most of which was acquired from hamfests, because others didn’t want to be bothered loading it back into their vehicles.
- Cram the above-mentioned detritus into every available inch of space wherever he happened to be living at any given time. (His parents basement/garage, his grandparents’ house, etc.) — while at the same time, continuing to compulsively acquire MORE of the same.
- NEVER meaningfully “sort” any of it — at any of the above-mentioned locations.
- When it became impossible to cram any more unsorted debris into the above-mentioned locations, acquire a myriad of storage-units, which were then crammed floor-to-ceiling, as per the above ‘method”.
- Whenever one of the existing storage-units became overly full, rent another one — and repeat step #5 above.
Result? His rickety shit-bucket of a jeep is illegal to drive at all. Even if it was legal to drive, it would still be insufficiently reliable for him to drive across two counties, to go to the storage units.
Even if he could drive to the storage units, he cannot do any meaningful level of sorting in a timely fashion.
Even if had had sufficient time in which to do such sorting the fact that all of the storage units and his trailer are crammed floor-to-ceiling with other such debris necessarily means that he has “no space to do it”.
To put it bluntly: his compulsive hoarding, coupled with his total inability to plan, prioritize, or structure ANY aspect of his existence, has now BITTEN HIM IN HIS FLABBY, WHITE ASS.